Wodonga is a city on the Victorian side of the border with New South Wales, 324 kilometres north-east of Melbourne, Australia.
It is located wholly within the boundaries of the City of Wodonga LGA and is separated from its twin city in New South Wales, Albury, by the Murray River.
As of 2021 Wodonga has a population of 20,259 and combined with Albury, the two cities form the urban area Albury-Wodonga with a population of 97,793.
There are multiple suburbs of Wodonga including Bandiana, Baranduda, Barnawartha, Bonegilla, Ebden, Huon Creek, Killara, Leneva and Staghorn.
Wodonga produces a gross domestic product of $2.5 billion per year on average.
Founded as a customs post with its twin city Albury on the other side of the Murray River, the town grew subsequent to the opening of the first bridge across the Murray in 1860. Originally named Wodonga, its name was changed to Belvoir then later back to Wodonga.
The Post Office opened 1 June 1856 although known as Belvoir until 26 July 1869. It had previously been regarded as the smaller, less prosperous cousin of the two. Whilst still somewhat smaller than Albury, economic growth in both areas has ameliorated such distinctions.
The local Indigenous Waywurru name for the area, “Wordonga”, refers to an edible plant or nut found in lagoons.